The Transplantation of Human Organs Act, 1994
An Act to provide for the regulation of removal, storage and transplantation of human
organs for therapeutic purposes and for the prevention of commercial dealings in
human organs and for matters connected therewith or incidental thereto.
1. Short Title, application and commencement
3. Authority for removal of human organs
4. Removal of human organs not to be authorised in certain cases.
5. Authority for removal of human organs in case of unclaimed bodies in hospital or prison.
6. Authority for removal of human organs from bodies sent for post-mortem examination for medico-legal or pathological purposes.
7. Prevention of human organs.
9. Restrictions on removal and transplantation of human organs.
10. Regulation of hospitals conducting the removal, storage or transplantation of human organs.
11. Prohibition of removal or transplantation of human organs for any purpose other than therapeutic purposes.
12. Explaining effects, etc., to donor and recipient.
13. Appropriate Authority
14. Registration of hospitals engaged in removal, storage or transplantation of human organs.
15. Certificate of registration
16. Suspension or cancellation of registration
18. Punishment for removal of human organ without authority.
19. Punishment for commercial dealings in human organs.
20. Punishment for contravention of any other provision of this Act.
21. Offences by companies.
22. Cognizance of offence
23. Protection of action taken in good faith.
24. Power to make rules.
25. Repeal and saving